Speed dating in bellingham
In 1898 the utility merged into the Northern Railway and Improvement Company which prompted the Electric Corporation of Boston to purchase a large block of shares. Whatcom and Sehome had adjacent borders and both towns wanted to merge; thus they formed New Whatcom.Later, on October 27, 1903, the word "New" was dropped from the name, because the Washington State Legislature outlawed the use of the word new in city and town names.At first, attempts to combine Fairhaven and Whatcom failed, and there was controversy over the name of the proposed new city.Whatcom citizens wouldn't support a city named Fairhaven, and Fairhaven residents would not support a city named Whatcom.The Indians were mostly Sikhs but were labelled as Hindus by much of the media of the day. F.), for example, shipped empty cans to Alaska, where they were packed with fish and shipped back.
The General Electric Company of New York purchased Bellingham's Fairhaven Line and New Whatcom street rail line in 1897.At its peak in the 1920s, the mine employed some 250 miners digging over 200,000 tons of coal annually. In the early 1890s, three railroad lines arrived, connecting the bay cities to a nationwide market of builders.The foothills around Bellingham were clearcut after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake to help provide the lumber for the rebuilding of San Francisco.South and eastward of the city limits are taller foothills of the North Cascades mountains.
Mount Baker is the largest peak in the local area, with a summit elevation of 10,778 feet (3,285 m) that is only 31 miles (50 km) from Bellingham Bay.In 1858, the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush caused thousands of miners, storekeepers, and scalawags to head north from California.